There’s always a lot happening in the Columbus restaurant world! Here’s the latest:
- Completing its move from Delaware, Speck Italian Eatery opened in its new location at 89 N. High St. downtown this week. The Italian restaurant is taking reservations for dinner only, but is offering lunch hours as well. Speck is owned by Josh Dalton, who is behind Veritas across Gay Street and Cove, A Seafood Joint (which takes the place of Speck in Delaware).
- Speaking of downtown, it’s the end of an era. The Dispatch broke the news this week that Ho-Toy Chinese restaurant, a staple for more than 60 years, has closed. Opened first in 1959, it moved to its location at 11 W. State St. (a former Burger King) in 1980.
- Dragon Donuts announced on social media that it has closed its Grandview location. The original Grove City store also closed quietly over the past year, but their Easton location remains open.
- Esco Restaurant & Tapas opened this week at 31 W. Gay St., in the former Pub Mahone space. Based out of Atlanta and serving a mix of Southern cooking and other American classics, the chain is co-owned by rapper 2 Chainz.
- Pastry chef Aaron Clouse shared this week that he’s heading up a new pastry program at Parable Coffee downtown.
- Icarus Sandwich Shop in Short North has closed for the time being. Its owners are focusing instead on serving the sandwiches featured there at the Fox in the Snow locations.
- Delaney’s Diner opens its new Groveport location at 704 Main St. on Monday, Feb. 6.
- Cameron Mitchell Restaurants announced last week that it is adding two new restaurants: a steakhouse in the new PNC Plaza on East Broad Street downtown and an upscale Mediterranean spot in the former Bon Vie space at Easton.
- The owners of Zoup have closed two of their locations: 41 S. High St. downtown and in the Tuttle mall. Their stores in the Arena District, at the Lennox, Easton, and Polaris remain open.
- Lohcally Artisan Chocolates holds its grand opening on Feb. 3-4 at 77 W. Liberty St. in Powell.
- A new location of Shake Shack – the fourth total for Central Ohio – is set to open at 3734 W. Dublin Granville Rd. on Monday, Feb. 6.
- This Saturday, Feb. 4 is Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day! All Jeni’s locations nationwide will be open from 9 a.m. to noon serving ice cream, including their Maple-Soaked Pancakes.
- And last but not least: the annual Hot Chicken Takeover / Mikey’s Late Night Slice collaboration kicks off this Saturday, Feb. 6 with a party at Mikey’s in Olde Towne East (tickets available here). The specialty Hot Mikey’s Takeover pizza will be available in various forms through Feb. 26, including a Ma’s Mac version (Feb. 20-26) and a vegan offering at the OTE location (Feb. 17-19).
This week I’m also writing:
Want to keep up with more? Follow me on Instagram at @breakfastwithnick, check out the news archives, search for travel inspiration, explore the breakfast map, or…
Enter your e-mail and click the button to get my weekly e-mail 8 Things to Do, Eat, See, & Drink. By clicking submit, you agree to share your email to receive emails from me.
Success! You’re on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn’t process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.