Pumpkin Week day 3 is here and it’s seriously one you’ll be making again and again. I haven’t made a cozy, hot drink for you guys in a while (since my epic healthier hot chocolate) so what better time than to bring you the perfect homemade pumpkin spice latte?
That’s right, it’s time to skip the lines and the drive-thru at Starbucks and try this naturally sweetened, easily dairy free & vegan pumpkin spice latte recipe. Trust me when I say this PSL is anything but basic. We’ve got real pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spices and a hint of maple syrup blended right in for the creamiest latte you’ll ever have.
Add a little whipped cream and extra spices on top if you’re fancy like me, and enjoy this cozy drink with breakfast, as an afternoon pick-me-up or even as a little post-dinner treat!
Your favorite PSL lightened up to perfection
Did you know that a grande pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks has 50g of sugar? Oof! I mean, I’m all about indulging every once in a while, but trust me when I say you can make an even more delicious pumpkin spice latte right at home that’s naturally sweetened and still filled with pumpkin flavor.
In this homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe we skipped the sugary pumpkin flavored syrup and are using real pumpkin puree, spices and a little pure maple syrup to sweeten. It’s so easy and SO good you might never go back to the OG latte again!
Ingredients in this homemade pumpkin spice latte
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this super creamy, flavorful pumpkin spice latte. It’s naturally sweetened and won’t leave you with that “blah” feeling that many of the sugar packed, store-bought ones do! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Espresso: I prefer using espresso in the latte for that stronger coffee flavor.
- Milk: for that delicious, creamy element. Feel free to use any milk you’d like, preferably one that froths well. We love using oat milk, and you can easily make it yourself with our tutorial here!
- Pumpkin flavor: we’re using real deal pumpkin puree, plus some pumpkin pie spice to get all of that fall flavor. It’s a great way to use up any extra canned pumpkin or to make your own.
- Sweetener: we’re just using 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup to naturally sweeten the pumpkin spice latte. You’ll also want to add some vanilla extract to bring out the sweet flavors.
- Optional: feel free to add some whipped cream on top for the perfect treat!
Easy ingredient swaps
Out of a few ingredients? Here’s what I can recommend for substituting:
- For the espresso: feel free to use 1/2 cup of freshly brewed coffee. I recommend making it a bit stronger than you normally do.
- For the sweetener: I like to use a little pure maple syrup because it adds even more of that cozy fall flavor, but feel free to use honey or even brown sugar.
- For the pumpkin pie spice: if you don’t have any pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice, feel free to add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice.
The best pumpkin spice latte in 4 simple steps
That’s right, this easy homemade pumpkin spice latte comes together in just about 10 minutes and 4 easy steps:
- Heat the milk. Start by pouring your milk of choice into a small pot and heat over medium-low heat until it is hot and almost simmering. Be careful to not boil the milk.
- Mix the ingredients. Make your espresso or coffee and pour it into a large mug or glass mason jar. Mix in pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla until well combined.
- Froth the milk. Use a milk frother to froth your milk for about 30 seconds or until foamy, then pour into the mug on top of the pumpkin espresso mixture. Reserve the extra foam, and spoon it on top.
- Top & enjoy. Feel free to top with whipped cream if you wanna get a little fancy. Sprinkle with a little extra pumpkin spice or cinnamon and enjoy!
Get all of our favorite kitchen essentials here.
More pumpkin recipes you’ll love
Get all of our amazing pumpkin recipes here!
I hope you love this homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
The best homemade pumpkin spice latte made with real pumpkin puree and cozy pumpkin pie spice. You’ll love this naturally sweetened, dairy free pumpkin spice latte recipe for your morning coffee or a delicious afternoon pick-me-up!
- 2 shots espresso (or sub 1/2 cup hot freshly brewed coffee but I prefer espresso)
- 1 cup milk of choice, preferably a milk that froths well (we love oat milk)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, to sweeten
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for topping (optional but recommended)
Pour milk into a small pot and heat over medium-low heat until it is hot and almost simmering, but do not boil the milk.
Make your espresso and pour it into a large mug or glass mason jar. Add pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla and stir until well combined.
Use a milk frother to froth your milk for about 30 seconds or until foamy, then pour into the mug on top of the pumpkin espresso mixture. Reserve the extra foam, and spoon it on top.
Feel free to top with whipped cream if you wanna get a little fancy. Sprinkle with a little extra pumpkin spice or cinnamon.
For the pumpkin pie spice: if you don’t have any pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice, feel free to add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice.
Servings: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 latte
Saturated fat: 0.2g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats