What can I say? I’m the type of girl who buys bananas on a weekly basis, just so I can watch them ripen up enough on the counter to be baked into something or thrown in a delicious peanut butter coffee smoothie.
Anyone else buy bananas just to bake with them?!
I’m here to welcome you to another year and another delicious banana bread recipe to fall in love with. If you’re not familiar with Ambitious Kitchen’s love for all things banana, you will be soon! You can find all of my fabulous banana bread recipes right here and some pretty delicious banana infused muffins here.
Today I’m sharing an almond flour banana bread that’s naturally sweetened with ONLY bananas (okay, and a few chocolate chips!) Can you believe it?
What makes this banana bread nourishing & healthy?
There’s a reason why I call this banana bread nourishing and it isn’t just because I love that word — rather it’s because this bread is a delicious nutrient-dense option to enjoy for breakfast, snacks and even a treat. Here’s what makes this banana bread healthy & wonderful:
- Almond flour is high in protein, vitamin E, fiber, healthy fats and low carb. It’s great for those who want to incorporate a more nutrient-dense flour into their diet. Feel free to check out more of my recipes using almond flour here.
- Flaxseed meal is a staple ingredient in my diet. I love putting it in smoothies, using it as an egg replacement in vegan recipes, and additionally, it happens to be high in fiber, protein and omega 3 fatty acids. You can read more about flaxseeds here.
- Naturally sweetened: this almond flour banana bread is naturally sweetened with only bananas, which helps to keep it fairly low sugar.
The first time I baked this up, Tony and I couldn’t stop going back for a second very thick slice. It’s especially good when topped with butter and a sprinkle of sea salt. I also do highly recommend using chocolate chips because it sweetens up the banana bread perfectly.
Ingredients in almond flour banana bread
Not only is this almond flour banana bread super easy to make in one bowl, but it’s also gluten free, grain free, dairy free and paleo — which means this banana bread is perfect for just about anyone — including kids! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Almond flour: you’ll want to use fine blanched almond flour for this recipe. Tip: be sure to pack the almond flour in your measuring cup just like you would with brown sugar!
- Flaxseed meal: not only does flaxseed meal add a nice nutty flavor and texture to this bread, but it’s also packed with fiber, high quality plant based protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cinnamon: helps to control blood sugar levels and give the banana bread cozy flavor.
- Ripe bananas: I suggest using EXTRA ripe bananas in this recipe with lots of brown spots. These are sweeter and better for this recipe since there are no other added sweeteners.
- Eggs: you’ll need 3 eggs in this recipe.
- Milk: a splash of almond milk is all you’ll need but you can use any milk you’d like.
- Baking staples: don’t forget salt, baking soda and vanilla extract! Learn how to make your own vanilla here, or feel free to use whiskey or bourbon.
- Dark chocolate chips: a little dark chocolate is good for the heart! If you need this bread to be dairy free, I suggest using these chocolate chips.
Can I use all purpose flour?
Unfortunately, no. I cannot recommend a flour substitute in this recipe as the banana bread was specifically formulated to use almond flour. Try my other banana bread recipes below using different flours!
How to make almond flour banana bread
- Mix the wet ingredients. First mix all the wet ingredients in a large bowl: mashed bananas, eggs, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add the dry. Next add in the dry ingredients: almond flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake & cool. Add the batter to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with a few extra chocolate chips. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Allow bread to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice & serve. Slice banana bread and serve with butter, almond butter or peanut butter and a sprinkle of sea salt (so good!)
Don’t forget these banana bread tips
Follow these super simple tips to ensure that your almond flour banana bread comes out perfect every time:
- Use extra ripe bananas that have lots of brown spots so that your bread has enough sweetness. The bananas are the only sweetener in this recipe, so this is very important!
- Measure your bananas after mashing to ensure that you get 1 1/4 cups mashed.
- Remember to pack the almond flour so that your banana bread gets the right texture.
- Add an extra boost of healthy fats and crunch by mixing 1/3 cup chopped walnuts into the batter if you’d like!
How to store & freeze almond flour banana bread
- To store: this banana bread should be kept well-covered in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days, then I recommend transferring it to the fridge or freezer.
- To freeze: simply wrap in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a reusable bag or freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can also feel free to freeze individual slices for a quick on-the-go treat!
Get all of our go-to kitchen essentials here.
More delicious bread recipes
Get all of my bread recipes here!
If you make this almond flour banana bread, please take a moment to leave a comment and rate the recipe below so others know how you liked it! We appreciate you. xo.
Nourishing Almond Flour Banana Bread
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Simple and delicious one bowl almond flour banana bread packed with nourishing ingredients and sweetened only with bananas. This gluten free, grain free, dairy free and paleo banana bread will be your new favorite to bake when you have extra ripe bananas. Chocolate chips optional, but recommended!
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed (this should measure to be 1 ¼ cups mashed banana)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups packed blanched fine almond flour (I use Bob’s Red MIll)
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free if desired), plus 2 tablespoons extra chocolate chips for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, almond milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Add in the almond flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chocolate chips on top. Bake for 50 minutes-1 hour or until tester comes out clean in the middle of the bread. Cool bread for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Once cool, cut into 12 slices. The bread is best the next day (as are all banana breads!) To serve: top with almond butter or butter and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Enjoy!
Feel free to add in ⅓ cup chopped walnuts for additional healthy fats.
See the full post for extra tips and instructions for storing & freezing!
Servings: 12 slices
Serving size: 1 slice (with chocolate chips)
Saturated fat: 3.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on January 10th, 2020, and republished on March 5th, 2022.