This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Salmon Tikka Masala, an Indian-inspired dish is simmered in a creamy tomato sauce with coconut milk and spices, perfect served with naan, roti, or over rice.
Salmon Tikka Masala
This delicious dish can also be made with chicken, fish or tofu as the sauce is flavorful and is the star of the dish. I’ve made a similar dish, Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower and Peas in the pressure cooker but I loved this salmon version made in a skillet, the sauce comes out much thicker on the stove. Salmon is my favorite fish and I try to incorporate it in my diet a few days a week. Here’s more of my favorite Indian recipes include Salmon Coconut Curry, Instant Pot Indian Chicken Pulao, and Indian Shrimp Curry.
You’re probably more familiar with chicken tikka masala, one of America’s most popular Indian dishes, which originated in England. Well, I tried it with salmon, and it was wonderful! I used a touch of canned coconut milk in place of heavy cream to make the sauce creamy and dairy free.
What does salmon tikka masala consist of?
Although the ingredient list may look long, it’s mostly spices, which I always have on hand for when I am craving Indian food.
- Salmon: skinless salmon filets, cut into four pieces. You can use frozen wild-caught fish if you don’t have fresh.
- Spices: Fresh grated ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, cayenne, cardamom, salt
- Aromatics: Garlic and onion sauté in butter or ghee with the spices.
- Sauce: Canned petite diced tomatoes (You can also use regular size diced tomatoes) and full-fat canned coconut milk
- Herbs: Garnish with fresh cilantro.
How to Make Salmon Tikka Masala
Salmon tikka masala is easier to make than you might think. Most of the cooking time is hands-off while the sauce and salmon simmer.
- Salmon: Season the salmon with salt and turmeric.
- Sauté: Melt the ghee or coconut oil in a skillet, add onion, garlic, ginger, and all the tikka masala spices. Cook for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Blend: Transfer the mixture to a blender with the tomatoes and blend until smooth. Return to the skillet and season with salt.
- Simmer: Simmer the tomato mixture on low for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and add the salmon, turning evenly to coat. Simmer to a gentle boil and cook for a few minutes until the salmon is fully cooked.
More Salmon Recipes You’ll Love:
Salmon Tikka Masala
283 Cals 30 Protein 8.5 Carbs 14 Fats
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Salmon Tikka Masala is a delicious Indian-inspired dish in a creamy tomato based sauce made with coconut milk and spices, perfect served with naan, roti, or over rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee , or coconut oil to make it DF, W30
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup canned petite diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk*, shake well
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
Season salmon with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric.
Melt ghee or oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add onion, garlic, ginger and 6 spices (from turmeric to cardamom) and saute until the vegetables are soft and the spices are fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to a blender along with tomatoes and blend until smooth, pour back into the skillet and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, simmer covered on low heat 15 to 20 minutes, until the flavors meld.
Stir in coconut milk and add the salmon, turning to evenly coat.
Simmer to a gentle boil and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through.
Serve garnished with cilantro.
*check labels for whole30compliant
Serving: 1piece salmon, 1/2 cup sauce, Calories: 283kcal, Carbohydrates: 8.5g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 82mg, Sodium: 500.5mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 3.5g
Keywords: Indian Salmon, Salmon tikka masala, tikka masala