While I was pregnant with Sidney and preparing for my breastfeeding journey, I knew I wanted to make some super nourishing, delicious snacks and treats filled with ingredients that are great for nursing moms. These amazing lactation cookies became a HUGE hit with all you mamas, moms-to-be and even as treats to make for mom friends, so this time around I made you the best lactation energy bites to fill those snack cravings.
These little no bake bites are seriously one of my fav snacks to keep on hand, especially while I’m now breastfeeding Viggo. I packed them with the same milk-boosting ingredients like flax, brewer’s yeast, oats and more (see below for all of the deets!) and yes, they taste like you’re eating your fav oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.
Make a batch or two of these lactation energy bites for yourself or mama friends, store them in the fridge or freezer and enjoy the perfect nutritious snack or treat all week long!
Energy bites with milk-boosting superpowers
You might be curious about what makes these healthy energy bites “lactation” energy bites. I created them with nutritious ingredients that are especially important for nursing mamas and that are actually known to boost milk supply such as:
- Chia seeds: I love adding chia seeds to snacks and treats because they’re a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hemp hearts: I added 2 full tablespoons of hemp hearts because they’re super high in iron and zinc, which are essential for new moms and babies. Each energy bite packs almost 30% of the recommended daily iron intake!
- Flaxseed meal: did you know that flaxseeds actually contain phytoestrogens that can help boost milk production? Yep! Perfect for mamas.
- Whole oats: oats contain iron which is known to have a positive effect on breast milk supply. These lactation energy bites are made with rolled oats, and you can use gluten free if you’d like.
- Brewer’s yeast: this nutritional supplement is high in complex b vitamins, protein and selenium, which are all nutrients new moms need. Please note that not all brewer’s yeast is gluten free, so if you are GF be sure to check the label. The one I have linked is gluten free, and make sure to get a debittered brewer’s yeast for the best flavor.
Everything else you’ll need to make lactation energy bites
Along with all of the milk-boosting superfoods mentioned above, we still want these no bake lactation energy bites to taste delicious. And trust me when I say they seriously taste like your fav oatmeal chocolate chip cookie! Here’s everything else you’ll need to make them:
- Peanut butter: I love using natural creamy peanut butter as the base in energy bites. My favorite is Wild Friends — use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off!
- Honey: we’re adding a little natural sweetness with honey.
- Flavor boosts: vanilla extract and a touch of cinnamon give the lactation energy bites the perfect flavor.
- Mix-ins: I like to fold in regular or mini chocolate chips because what’s life without a little chocolate? See below for even more amazing mix-ins.
How to make them your own
There are tons of easy ways to really make these lactation energy bites your own! Here are some suggestions:
- Swap the chocolate chips: feel free to omit or use dried cranberries or raisins instead.
- Try new mix-ins: peanut butter chips and dried blueberries would be delicious for a PB&J flavor, or try white chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- Choose your nut butter: feel free to use almond butter instead of peanut butter — just make sure it’s nice and creamy and drippy in consistency.
- Keep them nut free: simply use sunflower seed butter and nut free chocolate chips.
- Make them vegan: feel free to use date syrup instead of honey to keep these energy bites vegan. Soom is my favorite brand of date syrup, and you can use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ for 10% off! Then be sure to also use dairy free chocolate chips.
Can I make them without brewer’s yeast?
I highly recommend getting some debittered brewer’s yeast to use in this recipe for ultra milk-boosting effects, but if you don’t have any feel free to use almond flour or protein powder.
The best lactation energy bites in 3 simple steps
- Mix the wet ingredients. Start by mixing together the nut butter, honey & vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the dry. Mix in the flaxseed meal, brewer’s yeast, oats, hemp hearts, chia seeds and cinnamon with a rubber spatula. Then fold in the chocolate chips and any other mix-ins you want to use.
- Form the bites. Shape the “dough” into 8 even bites using a cookie scoop or your hands. You may need to add a little more nut butter or sweetener to help them stick depending on what brand of nut butter you used.
- To store: place the lactation energy bites in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: you can also freeze them in an airtight bag or container for up to 2 months! They’re delicious straight from the freezer.
More nourishing snacks for breastfeeding mamas
Check out more of my amazing, homemade breastfeeding snacks here!
I hope you love these easy, nourishing lactation energy bites! If you make them or share them with a new mama be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you (or she) liked them. Enjoy, xo!
The best lactation energy bites that are perfect for nursing mamas! These nourishing, no bake lactation energy bites are packed with protein, healthy fats and nutrients from ingredients like brewer’s yeast, oats, hemp hearts and chia seeds that are great for boosting milk supply. Add delicious mix-ins like chocolate chips for a wonderful snack or treat that’s great for new moms!
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ cup all natural creamy peanut butter (or sub almond butter)
- 3 tablespoons honey (or sub date syrup to make vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dry ingredients:
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons debittered brewer’s yeast*
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if desired
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- For the mix-ins:
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips of choice (mini or regular is fine)
Add wet ingredients to a medium bowl: peanut butter, honey and vanilla; mix well to combine. Next add in dry ingredients: flaxseed meal, brewer’s yeast, oats, hemp hearts, chia seeds and cinnamon and mix together with a rubber spatula until well combined and everything is evenly distributed. Fold in chocolate chips.
At this point you should be able to form balls that stick together. Since all peanut butter/nut butter consistencies are different, you may need to add in more nut butter or sweetener to help the balls stick together. Makes approximately 8 large energy bites.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, or the freezer for up to 2 months. Enjoy!
We recommend using a creamy natural nut butter with just peanuts and salt as the ingredients. We LOVE Wild Friends peanut butter. Use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off!
How to make them your own: check the full post for plenty of ways to customize your energy bites with different mix-ins and ingredients!
Servings: 8 energy bites
Serving size: 1 energy bite
Saturated fat: 2.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats