You guys know I’m all about a delicious burger, but sometimes an easy, flavorful grilled chicken sandwich just HITS. I love grilling chicken in the summer for weeknight dinners because you can use it in tons of amazing recipes. In fact, I have over 30 ways to use grilled chicken here!
Anyways, I was dreaming up new fun recipes using grilled chicken and realized I didn’t have a go-to chicken sandwich on the blog yet. What was I waiting for?! These incredible grilled chicken caesar sandwiches are packing the flavor thanks to my famous tahini-based vegan caesar dressing, which you’ll use as both the chicken marinade and the dressing for super crunchy, fresh slaw.
Pile these chicken sandwiches high on your fav buns with the best toppings like sweet tomato and creamy avocado. They’re perfect for your next BBQ, potluck, or just weeknight dinner or lunch. One bite and Abra, Tony and I were 100% hooked. As always, I’ve included tons of ways to customize your sandwiches and even ways to make them without a grill. Enjoy!
Grilled chicken caesar sandwich ingredients
These incredible grilled chicken caesar sandwiches are super easy to make with just four components: the dressing/marinade, the veggies, the chicken, and the toppings. Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- For the dressing & marinade: we’re using my famous vegan caesar dressing made with tahini as both the chicken marinade and the slaw dressing. It adds the perfect amount of flavor to both and keeps the chicken nice and juicy. Use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ to get 10% off my favorite tahini, Soom!
- For the chicken: I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe for extra flavor.
- For the slaw: we’re chopping up green and red cabbage, carrots, and green onion. You’ll toss the veggies with your dressing along with a little pure maple syrup, salt & pepper to bring out the flavors.
- For assembling: add your chicken & slaw to your favorite hamburger buns (I love Dave’s Killer Bread or brioche buns!), and top with all of your go-to toppings. I love fresh sliced avocado and tomato!
How to grill perfect chicken
Grilling chicken can seem intimidating, but with all of my tips & tricks, you’ll be grilling perfect chicken every time for these chicken caesar sandwiches and beyond! Get my full guide to grilling chicken here.
Looking to bake your chicken instead?
Customize your chicken caesar sandwiches
These easy chicken caesar sandwiches are great for customizing to your taste preferences. Here are some suggestions:
- Choose the meat. Feel free to use chicken breasts instead of thighs if you’d like.
- Try a new sauce. I love the flavor of the tahini caesar dressing as the marinade and in the slaw, but my creamy feta sauce would also be delicious!
- Add your fav toppings. Because toppings are the best part about sandwiches — feel free to choose any you’d like! I love fresh avocado and tomato with the slaw, but you could add a slice of cheese, bibb lettuce, red onion, and more.
- Pick a bun (or no bun). Use any bun you’d like for these sandwiches — even gluten free! You could even make them in fresh lettuce wraps for a grain free / low carb option.
Grilled chicken caesar sandwiches in 5 easy steps
- Make the dressing. Start by mixing together the tahini caesar dressing — be sure to taste it and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Marinate the chicken. Add your chicken to a large bowl or dish and pour half of the dressing in. Use tongs to mix the chicken in the dressing so that it’s well coated, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Make the slaw. Add all of your shredded veggies to a bowl and mix them with the remaining dressing. Refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches.
- Grill your chicken. Grill up your chicken and feel free to toast your buns if you’d like.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Add your chicken, slaw, tomato and avocado to your buns and enjoy!
Our fav grilling tools
Check out our fav kitchen tools here.
More grilling recipes you’ll love
Get all of my grilling recipes here!
I hope you love these grilled chicken caesar sandwiches! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Grilled Tahini Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
Delicious grilled chicken caesar sandwiches with fresh tahini slaw and all of the toppings your heart desires. These chicken caesar sandwiches use a flavorful, dairy free tahini caesar marinade that doubles as the slaw dressing! You’ll LOVE these sandwiches for an easy summer dinner or lunch.
- For the marinade & dressing:
- 1/4 cup drippy tahini (we use Soom tahini)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from ½ large lemon (about 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced (or sub ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon very finely diced capers
- 2 teaspoons caper brine (from the jar of capers)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (we love a grainy dijon!)
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- Plenty of freshly ground salt and black pepper
- For the chicken:
- 4 larger boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 medium to smaller chicken breasts
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- For the tahini caesar slaw:
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage (or do a blend of both!)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- For assembling:
- 4 hamburger buns of choice (I love Dave’s Killer Bread or brioche!)
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 roma or heirloom tomato, sliced
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth: tahini, fresh lemon juice, garlic, diced capers, caper brine, dijon mustard, warm water and freshly ground black pepper. Please note that most caesar dressings are pretty heavy on the salt and that’s also important in this recipe to bring out the flavor and make it taste like a true Caesar salad dressing/marinade. Be generous with your salt and pepper!
Add the chicken to a large bowl or shallow dish and pour half of the dressing on top, reserving the other half for the slaw. Use tongs or a fork to mix the chicken with the dressing, then cover and place in the fridge; allow chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Place reserved dressing in a small container and set aside in the fridge for later
Once ready, make the slaw: in a medium bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green onion and pure maple syrup. Add the remaining reserved dressing and toss together until well combined. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Place in the fridge while you grill your chicken.
Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F. Grill for about 6-8 minutes per side until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. If you’d like, you can also toast the buns for 1-2 minutes.
To prepare: place chicken on bun bottom, then top with slaw, sliced avocado and tomato slice then top with remaining bun. Serves 4. Enjoy!
Bake instead of grill: feel free to bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees F until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 sandwich (with toppings)
Saturated fat: 3.7g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats